Sunday, June 3, 2007

Saturday 06.03.07




Beautiful Arkansas morning! Left the house and rode over to the Burn's Park socceer fields and met up with a bunch of riders to do the last Carti training ride. Sort of sad that this was the last one because it's been a lot of fun! Chris Irons stood in the back of a truck and preached to the riders. They even had these great lamanated cue cards for everyone.
Ran into a couple old ACH buds in the crowd. Dr. Paul from the ACH Eye Clinic was sporting a awesome Orbea Orca test bike from Chainwheel!! Oh man, let me tell you! It was a beauty and fast indeed! Also in the crowd were James Gaston and Keith Moore. Both are strong riders and always fun to ride with.

We rolled out and headed toward Keo and the group was on fire! I worked my way up toward the front and was determed to stay with the front group. I did fine until we got to the train tracks and I have to snail speed across them. I flipped a couple of years ago on these same tracks doing end over end at 27mph. I've been gun shy crossing them since.
Once I crossed the tracks I pressed on and did my best to regain my spot but several passed me at the tracks. By the time we had our first rest stop I had done ok but never made it to the pull position. One friend said when we stopped, "I looked down and I was going 26mph and I thought to myself, why?" I just grinned and said, "Becuz itza lotta fun!"
When roll out and head toward Keo, our mid-way point a break away group formed and I just sat in the second group. We were doing great but that guy thing took over. I pulled out and sprinted to catch the breakaway and I hit 33mph and was still not catching them. Geesh! I kept it at 25 for what seemed forever and then I blew. Blew so bad the second group caught me then passed me. I sat on the back for a moment then me and my bud Brandon (Our hospital Alltel rep) rolled along at a social pace to the mid-point.
On the way back we rode together at a social pace (18mph) and talked. I've known Brandon and his family for years and they are as good as it gets.
Note to Coach Mark: I know, I know it was supposed to be recovery.
Next weekend is gonna be great because I start with the Carti ride on Saturday morning and break off and ride to West Memphis then Terri and I are going to hang out in Memphis for the night.
All in all it was a great ride!

No comments: