Tuesday, May 29, 2007

We did it! Training ride to Russellville and back!

Jack, Me, Rebecca, Coach Mark, Chris, Jim, Razz, Marvin, Keith H,

Shawdawg, Shawkitty, Everyone's Mom and Yale




Heading out from Cook's Landing




Proof that we were really there!




We did it! We went to Russellville and back yesterday and I logged 147.87 miles!

12 of us started out at Cook's Landing and rode through Maumelle, Mayflower, Conway, Menifee, Plumerville were we were met by Yale's mom and her husband Jack. They are the most awesome folks! We had cold drinks, and fruit as well as cold water soaked towels.

Several were only planning to ride to Conway and back but everyone was feeling so good they stayed with us until Plumerville. 5 of us headed on out and by the time we got to Russellville it was the perfect time to stop. We all felt great but were ready for a break.

We crowded around an outdoor picnic table at McDonalds. I was as nervous at that point more than any other time on the ride. I usually can't eat a meal on a long ride. My tummy hates it but I knew I had to eat something so I got a fish sandwich without the tartar sauce and drank a Sprite. I worked with no problems at all!

We then reloaded our water bottles with cold drinks and hit the road for the ride home. One of my bottles had water and the other had green tea. I love that stuff and it has a calming effect on me. I usually drink it with my lunch at the office. Sweet tea does the same thing.

We rode into the wind and worked as a team taking turns at the front pulling. At times we would be rocking along at 18-20 then others when the wind would gust we could be seen going 14mph. The ride ended with and average of 16.6mph. My actual ride is set at 15 mph so I really felt good about that.

I did get a cramp just outside of Morriton but it quickly went away as I took a replacement cap.

As we rolled into Morrilton everything was closed except the Big Star grocery store so we loaded up on water and ice and Yale picked up a 6 pack of small V8 drinks. He stands by those as the drink to have when riding long rides. Again I decided to experiment with something while hot and getting tired. I drank the V8 and it was awesome! I had no idea those tasted so good! I'm hooked! Thanks Yale!

My coach had also given me a drink mix to try. It was great and I could tell between the drink mix and the V8 that I was going to do good the rest of the ride. Thanks Mark!

We rolled on pushing through the winds. They weren't wicked but just enough to make you wish they weren't blowing. I was excited as we rounded a curve to spot the hill that takes us back into Conway. It was one of those "almost home" feelings you get after a long trip.

We stopped at the Citgo (sp?) station on Tyler and Hogan St and we were all just having a great time. Everyone was still feeling good with over a hundred miles already behind us. Yale's mom comes driving in and what do they have? Cold drinks!! I had another almost frozen V8 drink and I was so good!

We then headed toward Mayflower and stopped on the side of the road for just a moment and rolled on to Maumelle. I remembered the hills just before Maumelle and the last one before the turn onto Maumelle Blvd smacked me up the side of the head. I was glad that that would be one of the last hills on the actual long ride on June 28th!

We got back to Cook's Landing and everyone was smiling from ear to ear! We had done it! Yale opened the back of his Element and there sat an ice chest! We had cold drinks and Yale made turkey sandwich halves with a thin slice of dill pickle. I laughed and told him it was the best sandwich I had ever eaten! We chased it with huge strawberries and blueberries!

All in all it was a fantastic day with great friends... great memories and great training! My hat's off to the greatest friends in the world for coming out and riding this! Yale, Ironman, Rebecca (Mrs. Ironman) and Razz... they stayed with me the WHOLE ride. Shawdawg, Shawkitty, Jim A, Coach Mark, Keith (Hey, you smell really nice! HA!) H., Robert, and fearless Marvin ... you guys rock!

No comments: